By: Johnson C. Smith University
CHARLOTTE, N.C. / July 5, 2023 – Johnson C. Smith University’s College of Business and Professional Studies has formed a Dean’s Executive Advisory Board to ensure the program offerings remain relevant to the industry.
“It is with much delight that we introduce the founding members of the Dean’s Executive Advisory Board for the College of Business and Professional Studies at JCSU” said Dr. Alphonso O. Ogbuehi, dean of the college. “We are privileged to have these individuals who have offered to volunteer their time, talent and treasure to help us build and grow an outstanding program.”
The board will consist of a maximum of 25 members at a time, all of whom will be senior-level business owners, executives and community leaders. These leaders will hold quarterly meetings during which they will discuss how the college can strengthen its ties with the business community and bring more awareness to the college and JCSU students.
Interim President Steven L. Boyd ’79 said the addition of the board will help students interested in business throughout their matriculation at JCSU.
“The Dean’s Executive Advisory Board is a much-needed addition to our College of Business and Professional Studies,” Boyd said. “The depth and breadth of experiences offered by this distinguished group of individuals will be a significant asset to Johnson C. Smith University and each and every student interested in pursuing business as a course of study or professional career. The members of this board are seasoned business veterans who have demonstrated success in a wide range of business sectors and entrepreneurial initiatives. We are confident their mentorship will light a pathway of success for our students and provide programing, experiences and insights that will serve as the foundation for the next wave of business leaders in the Charlotte community and beyond.”
The members of the board are:
- Derrick Pratt, managing partner with Global Circle Recycling, LLC (chair)
- Rosalin Bland, owner and CEO of Abundant Love Home Care Services, LLC (vice chair)
- Hugh W. Allen, regional mid-South president for TD Bank
- Tarris Arnold, founder and president of Taylor Interiors, LLC
- Ryan Burkett, senior partner of marketing and technology for Stratagon, Inc.
- Dr. Kendrick Carroll, president and CEO of BSI Solutions, Inc.
- Kofi Conduah, founder and CEO of RegalPay
- Walter B. Davis, president of the Walter B. Davis Company, Inc.
- Greene E. Dim, real estate investor/risk management consultant for Grened Properties, LLC
- Dr. Gerald T. Hannah, president and CEO of the Gerald Hannah Group
- Lashun Lawson, director of eCommerce and Marketing for the U.S. Capitol Historical Society
- Janjae Mitchell, director of public relations for Novant Health
- Nicholas S. Riggins, founder and CEO/president of Habits of Heroes, LLC
- Dr. Hope E. Rivers, third president of Piedmont Technical College
- Lois Ingland, VP of Social Corporate Responsibility at Atrium Health
- Edgar Ruth, president of Environmental Service Systems
- Kristerpher J. Smith, senior vice president and strategy and initiatives manager for Bank of America
- Mary-Frances Winters, founder and CEO of The Winters Group, Inc.
- Dr. Karen D. Morgan, senior vice president of academic affairs and CAO at Johnson C. Smith University (ex officio)
- Dr. Evelyn Leathers, interim vice president of institutional advancement at Johnson C. Smith University (ex officio)
- Dr. Alphonso Ogbuehi, dean of the college of business and professional studies at Johnson C. Smith University (ex officio)
“At JCSU, we strive to connect our students with high-quality learning experiences that allow them to develop and enhance the skills they need to succeed after graduation,” said Morgan. “This board will support endeavors to ensure the curriculum in the College of Business and Professional Studies aligned with current business practices and competencies demanded by industry to give our students the best possible outcome in their future careers as entrepreneurs and business leaders. Charlotte is one of the largest business hubs in America, so we are thankful to have a group of individuals who will use their business acumen to help prepare our students for a successful career in the world of business in the Queen City and beyond.”
For more information on the College of Business and Professional Studies, visit JCSU.edu.