Media Relations Manager
Small Business Majority was founded and is run by small business owners to ensure America’s entrepreneurs are an essential part of a thriving and inclusive economy. We actively connect small business owners and independent entrepreneurs with policymakers in support of commonsense public policy solutions, and deliver information and resources to entrepreneurs to promote inclusive small business growth and drive a sustainable, job-creating economy.
We regularly engage our network of more than 58,000 small business owners and 1,000 business organizations from our Washington, D.C. and five regional offices.
Our extensive scientific polling, focus groups and economic research help us educate and inform policymakers, the media and other stakeholders about key issues impacting small businesses and freelancers, including access to capital, healthcare, retirement, taxes, paid leave and other workforce issues. (www.smallbusinessmajority.org)
Please submit 3 writing samples to be considered for the position: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media Relations Manager (6 month contract)
The contract Media Relations Manager will manage state and national media outreach for Small Business Majority. They will write press releases and media advisories, coordinate interviews with reporters, pitch stories and manage Small Business Majority’s media database. They will also be responsible for writing op-eds, letters to the editor, blogs and more. The Media Relations Manager will report to the VP, Communications. This position could possibly become full-time in 2020.
· Develop and nurture relationships with print and online editors, writers, TV/radio producers, bookers, etc., specifically in states where we have staff
· Pitch stories, secure media coverage and draft and place op-eds, letters to the editor and other pieces
· Write and distribute press releases, talking points, media statements, Q&A docs, policy summaries and other materials as needed
· Maintain and grow our database of media contacts at the local, state and national levels
· Provide talking points on key policy issues to Small Business Majority staff members and small business owners
· Help prepare Small Business Majority staff and small business owners in our network for media interviews/interactions, including media training
· Stay on top of critical related news and developments
· Respond quickly to media inquiries
· Create letter to the editor and op-ed content from small business owners
· Proactively search out opportunities for media interviews and engagement for Small Business Majority staff and members of our network
· Assist with the organization’s social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs)
· Write and edit other content as needed, particularly related to our key policy issues (healthcare, access to capital, entrepreneurship, workforce, etc.)
· Between 3-5 years media/journalism experience
· Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
· Superior writing and interviewing skills
· Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Self-starter; deadline oriented; personable—able to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, small business owners, partners, etc.
· Ability to understand complex policy issues and translate them into layman’s terms for small business owners, media, etc.
· Interest in advocacy and public policy
· Availability to work outside regular working hours and weekends as needs arise
· Mastery of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging) and social media analytics
· Enjoyment of collaboration and ability to work as part of a team with multiple internal and external resources; as well, must be able to work independently and remotely with team members in other cities/states
· Mastery of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
· Any of the following experience a plus: Small business/business, healthcare, workforce issues, immigration, women/minority issues, and/or non-profit
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Seniority levelMid-Senior level
- Employment typeFull-time
- Job functionWriting/EditingPublic RelationsMarketing
- IndustriesGovernment Relations